For some people, sleep can be a tough thing to come by. This is especially true if you’re an extremely light sleeper.
Just about any sound might keep you awake. Anxiety can also present a huge problem when it comes to getting the sleep you need. Yet there are so few natural options for dealing with it.
You can take pills to knock yourself out, but those can come with numerous side effects. Ear plugs can also result in increased ear infections or you just might find them uncomfortable to sleep with. If nothing else has really worked in the past, it might be time for you to try a noise-cancelling machine.
Best Noise-Cancelling Machine: Reviews
1. Marpac Classic
- THE ORIGINAL SOUND MACHINE: Beloved by generations since 1962, the Dohm Classic model features our fan-based natural white noise producing our signature sound – the soothing ambient sounds of rushing air, without the disturbance of actual moving air.
- CUSTOMIZED SOUND EXPERIENCE: With two-speed options for adjustable tone and volume, making it simple to create a personalized sound environment, excellently masking background noise and allowing for better sleep, office privacy, effective soothing for kids and babies, and calming for sound-sensitive dogs.
This is the prime choice for those who just want a simple white noise machine to help them sleep. For a very fair price, it’s designed to help those who have difficulty sleeping using this sound. As a result, it’s reliable for both calming people down and covering up annoying sounds.
The key use for a noise-cancelling machine is to cover up unpleasant sounds with something more uniform. For example, the sounds of nearby parties, noisy neighbors or cars on the street can be disruptive, loud and annoying.
However, a noise-cancelling device can make those sounds a lot less troublesome by masking up the sound. With a softer, flatter sound, you’ll be able to enjoy your sleep a little bit more. As a result, you’ll have an easier time calming down to focus, meditate, work, study or sleep. No matter your age, this device can be quite helpful.
There are a number of people who opt to use devices like this one to help their infants sleep better. Due to the soothing nature, it can help keep them from being startled awake. Anyone who has children will recognize just how beneficial any extra sleep can be.
- Helps sleep in a natural way
- Easy to adjust
- Improves quality of sleep
- Drowns out distractions
- Great for babies and children
- Begins to rattle over time
- May take longer to turn on over time
For those who want something simple, easy to use and more than suitable for helping people of all ages get to sleep, this is the choice for you.
- Buy with confidence from an American company
- 30 rich and immersive non-repeating sound environments for better sleep, relaxation, and sound masking
There are some who know exactly which sound they want, and some who might prefer to explore a number of options to find the ideal choice. While this might be one of the more expensive choices on the market, it does include a huge variety of different sounds to help you sleep.
The Sound+Sleep device is one that offers a plethora of different sound options. With 12 different categories and 48 sounds between all of them, you’re sure to find something you’ll enjoy. That many choices also means you can use different sounds for sleeping, meditating and more.
You’ll also have plenty of options when it comes to providing power to the device; you can plug it into an AC outlet, use a USB cord or simply put some batteries into it. On top of that, this device includes the ability to listen to whatever you want using the audio input.
The recordings that this device uses come from the environment, rather than simple looped digital sounds. You can also use a timer that customizes to what you need. Furthermore, it can be set to lower the volume slowly so that you can fall asleep easily.
- Lots of sound options
- Authentic sounds
- Aids tinnitus
- Great customer service
- Not a lot of static
- Difficult to return
- Poor quality speaker
This is a great option for those who want a lot of sound options to explore.
3. Big Red Rooster
- 6 SOOTHING SLEEP SOUNDS – The white noise machine sounds include Rain, Brook, Ocean, Thunder, White Noise, Summer Night. The sleep machine sounds help you drift off to sleep faster and wake up feeling refreshed in the morning
- MASK BACKGROUND NOISES - The white noise sound machine masks noise for improved sleep, concentration and comfort. Blocks background noise while sleeping, working or traveling to experience serenity in every situation
Not everyone who needs a white noise machine wants to pay a lot for it. This inexpensive option allows you to choose from 6 sounds designed to help you with calming you down, focusing, meditating or sleeping. All of these sounds are natural and sure to help relax you.
Those who want natural sounds will enjoy this device. You’ll be able to find a plethora of choices including the sound of a brook, a soothing summer evening, the ocean, or even rain and thunder. If you prefer simple white noise, this is a device that can offer that as well.
Annoying background noise will be a thing of the past when you try out this device. Instead, you’ll be able to listen to a variety of calming sounds that will help you to sleep well and enjoy sweet dreams. Just like many other choices, this is a great one for adults and babies alike, helping both to sleep well.
When you want to use this device, you can power it through batteries or just by plugging it into an outlet. Those who have tinnitus can also find some relief through the use of the Big Red Rooster, helping them to reach better sleep.
- Clear sound
- Even helps puppies to sleep
- Quality customer service
- Blocks troubling sounds
- Too high-pitched
- Poor quality sound
For a budget-friendly choice with 6 sounds to select from and an easy-to-use design, make sure to check out this device.
4. LectroFan Evo
- This INTERNATIONAL MODEL includes an adapter kit for US, UK, and EU power outlets, and can also be powered via USB.
- Provides ten fan sounds and ten white noise variations, including White noise, Pink noise and Brown noise.
White noise machines come in so many different shapes and sizes. This is one that provides you with a highly modern look that is sure to fit into your home quite easily. It also includes plenty of different sound options to help you with finding the ideal choice to help you sleep.
Aside from the great modern look, this device is able to provide 22 sounds that are sure to help you relax or focus. Whatever you need, this device is one that will be able to provide the calming environmental sounds that will help you to do so.
When you use this device, you’ll be able to cut out other sounds that may be going on around you. When you live near a lot of other people, there can be so many troubling sounds that may keep you from sleeping well.
Even babies will be able to benefit from this device, which is something parents are sure to appreciate. If you really want to block out the rest of the world, you can also connect the Evo to just about any headphones or earphones that use 3.5mm jack. If you plan to keep the sound on as you sleep, something like a sleep headband can allow you to hear while providing more comfort.
- Blocks out noises
- Saves your relationships with neighbors and co-workers
- Plenty of volume
- Calms anxious dogs
- Assists with tinnitus, anxiety, etc.
- Crackling sounds
- Difficulty with returns
When you want the perfect modern fit for your home, this is a great choice.
5. Pure Enrichment Sound Machine
- ALL-NATURAL SLEEP AID: Drug-free sleep solution helps you get a more restful night’s sleep making it ideal for use in bedrooms and nurseries
- 6 SOUND OPTIONS: Seamless looping of 6 soothing sounds (white noise, fan, ocean, rain, stream, and summer night) with little repetition and no audible break for a peaceful listening experience
This sound machine is a great choice when you want something compact and don’t need a great number of sounds. It’s perfect for those who know what sound they want and don’t feel the need to explore many more. Furthermore, it’s one that comes at a price most people are happy with.
The Pure Enrichment machine allows you to choose white noise or other natural sounds such as streams or the ocean. There’s also a lovely summer night choice that offers you the same kinds of sounds you might hear while you’re camping out during the middle of summer.
Like other choices in our review, you can also use this one to charge other USB devices. Keep in mind that the plug-ins are limited, but it’s a great choice for charging your phone on your night stand.
What sets this option apart is the portability it offers. You can use it just about anywhere, allowing you to block unwanted noises wherever you may be.
- Smooth flow
- Great design
- USB charger for added devices
- Easy to use
- Improves sleep hygiene
- Obvious looping
- Poor sound quality
For a highly compact choice that you can easily take to hotels, or that just doesn’t take up a lot of space on your nightstand, this is one of the best options.
6. HoMedics Sound Machine
- 6 Soothing Sounds: Choose from 6 digitally recorded relaxing Sounds: White Noise, Thunder, Ocean, Rain, Summer Night, and Brook; The Soundspa's Sounds are designed to mimic the natural environment to provide the most relaxing Experience possible
- Compact & Portable For Travel: Don’t worry about Not Sleeping while you Travel, the Homedics Sleep Sound Machine is Small and Lightweight; It easily fits into Your purse, Bag or suitcase making it Easy to bring Your Sleep Sounds with you wherever you go
This is a machine that is designed to help with improving sleep hygiene and keeping unexpected noises from keeping you awake all night. It comes at a great price and provides you with 12 different sound options. Additionally, the simple design also makes it intuitive to use.
This handy little device is a perfect choice for those who want something lightweight and portable. It may not fit in your pocket, but it will be easy to take on the road to use in hotels or other locations. This is also a choice that is rechargeable, so you won’t need to worry about replacing batteries.
Whether you need to study, sleep or meditate, this device will have a sound for you. It plays a variety of natural sounds that can help to keep you calm and focused.
You can listen to sounds like those from the ocean, the rainforest or just a simple fan. Once you’ve gotten a full charge, this device will also last for a good 12 hours. As a result, you won’t need to worry about it shutting off too soon.
- Avoid sleep disruptions
- Highly compact
- Long battery life
- Several sound choices
- Seamless looping
- Defective units
- May cease charging
If you’re looking for something with a lot of battery life, take a closer look at this machine.
7. Pictek Mini
- NATURAL FAN-BASED WHITE NOISE - With unique asymmetric blade design, this fan sound machine uses an internal fan to create the sound rather than playing recordings. The resulting in sound is soft and pleasant to listen to, volume up to 85 db, which can mask sounds that disturb you, helping you relax and fall asleep easier
- CONVENIENT AUTO-OFF TIMER - Equipped with 3 timer option, allowing you to play the pleasant sound all night, or set auto-off timer: 30 or 60 minutes. Perfect for sleeping, relaxation, working, studying or travel
Some may want something they can easily take with them to work. This low-cost device works using earphones and provides you with plenty of battery life. As a result, it’s also a great idea for those who need something to keep them calm while they’re traveling or trying to sleep in a new place.
This is the prime choice when you want something that will fit in your pocket. The Pictek is a tiny device, designed to be listened to through earphones rather than out loud, This makes it a great choice for those who need a little help focusing at work or during travel.
There are 12 options when it comes to sounds, ensuring you’ll have plenty to choose from. You’ll also be able to choose to set a timer or listen to the device play continually.
Each full charge will give you almost a full day of battery life, so you won’t need to worry about running out of power just when you need it. With the purchase, you’ll get a little pouch to carry it in so that it can stay in good shape whether it’s in a bag, pocket or piece of luggage.
- Drowns out exterior sounds
- Super portable
- Aids in personal time and relaxation
- Lots of sound options
- Budget pricing
- Earbuds misfit
- Too loud
If you need something to use while you’re traveling, at work or anywhere else, consider this low-cost choice.
When you’re shopping for a noise-cancelling machine, you’ll want t something that offers quality sound options. The kinds of sounds that aid in sleep might differ from person to person. You might enjoy the sound of rain, while others just need simple white or pink noise to get the job done.
Whatever sound you need to get through the night, make sure you get something without a lot of unexpected sounds that may jar you awake. Instead, look for something smooth that will relax your mind rather than waking it up even more.